Waste Reduction Drop-Off Days and Special Events
Send waste to a better place! Learn all about our special events such as the Household Hazardous Waste Day, Leaf and Yard Waste Depots and more! We also have information about white metal goods recycling and composting.
Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous waste are items that can be corrosive, flammable or poisonous. Knowing which products are hazardous can help you protect yourself, your family, staff and the environment. Please do not dispose of household hazardous waste in your garbage or by pouring items down the drain or stormwater sewers as it will harm the environment.
Paint and Electronics
SARCAN Recycling collects unused paint and electronics year-round. If you have unused or unwanted paint and end-of-life electronics, take them to your nearest SARCAN depot. SARCAN also accepts empty paint cans. Read more information about SARCAN’s recycling programs.
Household Hazardous Waste Days
Dates and Times
Household Hazardous Waste Days are closed for the year. Check back for 2019 depot times.
Learn how to dispose of your hazardous waste by using the Waste Wizard search tool.
Hazardous Waste Storage Tips
- Keep materials in their original containers. If the labels is lifting off use transparent tape to secure it.
- Do not mix different products together.
- Tightly cap all containers.
- Follow the storage instructions on the product label. Storage requirements vary based on the hazardous property a material has.
- Where allowed, store containers together in a large heavy duty plastic container to prevent potential spillage.
- Make sure you store flammable products in the recommended temperature range.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do a periodic check on the storage area to ensure no problems have occurred.
- Be sure there are no apparent fumes.
- Ensure you can clearly see each label.
- The containers should be clear of rust, bulges, dents or leaks.
- Never pour of flush household hazardous waste materials down the drain. Chemicals can corrode pipes and cause issues at the Wastewater Treatment Facility.
Fall Leaf and Yard Waste Depots
Dates and Times
The Leaf and Yard Depots are now closed for the season.
Due to increased volumes of yard waste and anticipated continued demand, we will be expanding our current yard waste depot service in 2019 to a single-site that will provide a free drop-off service for residents operating throughout the growing season (April to November).
Stay tuned for more details.
Treecycle – Christmas Tree Recycling
After the holidays, drop off your real tree at one of our four free convenient Treecycle depot locations. Trees will be turned into nutrient-rich compost.
Dates and Times
Depots will be open seven days a week, from December 27, 2018 to January 31, 2019.
Be sure your tree has no decorations and is not in a disposal bag.
Treecycle depots are not for commercial use.
- 500 Arcola Avenue - between Victoria Avenue and Winnipeg Street
- Joanne Goulet Golf Course - 8045 Kestral Drive
- Kinsmen Park South - Kings Road and Lakeview Avenue
- City Landfill - 1101 Fleet Street (No fee if only bringing a tree)