Mayor Proclaims 2018 Waste Reduction Week - Take the Food Waste Challenge!
From October 15 – 19, the City of Regina will join other municipalities in a national environmental campaign that builds awareness around issues of sustainable and responsible consumption and promotes actions that divert more waste from the Landfill.
“This year, we are focusing on reducing food waste,” said Mayor Michael Fougere. “In Regina, food waste makes up 30 per cent of waste in residential garbage carts and of that, over half was edible at some point, meaning half the food waste was avoidable."
Take the Food Waste Challenge! Visit Regina.ca/reduce to take a quiz and learn how you can take action to reduce food waste. There are small actions we can take every day that can help reduce the amount of food waste we are creating.
Step 1. Plan it out
- Plan your meals.
- Before going to the store, plan out your meals for the week.
- Make a grocery list.
- Check the supplies you already have at home.
Step 2: Store it properly
- Most of the food wasted in our kitchens is food that needs refrigeration. Use this guide to make the most of your fridge, cut down on food waste.
Step 3: Learn to love leftovers
- Store and label with the date.
- Generally leftovers are good for four days.
- Be creative.
- Find a recipe to incorporate your leftover food.
Step 4: Turn food waste into compost
- There are many benefits to composting. Find out what type of composting style works for you! Visit Regina.ca/waste for information and videos to get you started.
“It’s not just this week – we can continue to reduce our food waste throughout the year and divert this material and other recyclables from the landfill,” said Lisa Legault, Director of Solid Waste. “We want residents to take action in their homes and at the store by adopting more environmentally-conscious choices.”
Free screening of the documentary Wasted: The Story of Food Waste
Monday, October 15
7 – 9 p.m.
2627 13th Avenue
Waste Reduction Tip: Use reusable bags or go bag less, not only for your produce but for all of your groceries!